Sunday, October 11, 2009

GHOSTDINI FOREVER!

Better late than never at all...

A quarter of the NFL season is done and a few thinks have become abundantly clear.


1. The Raiders continue to be one of the most inexplicably worst organizations of the early 21st century. I’d rather be a Lions fan than ride with the Autumn Wind.

2. That entire 13-3 Titans season was a fluke. It took about 19 weeks for them to start showing their true colours, but they did. We all just needed an extra couple of weeks to get the message.

3. The Lions should devote their next 5 free agent and draft acquisitions to defense. A Pro-Bowl tackle on either side of the ball would be nice too.

4. Everyone should be scared of the Saints.

5. Bret Favre will play past his 44th birthday.

6. But that acquisition has already netted the Vikings 2 extra wins.

7. Anyone planning on playing Green Bay in the next 6 years should pray they don’t improve their offensive line.

8. The Rams were foolish to put their trust in Marc Bulger 6 years ago. All of their ills stem from that one mistake.

9. Wade Phillips has a solid mind for Xs and Os, but he cannot instill discipline into a team that sorely needs it.

10. Ghostface Killah might never fall off.[/i]

We’re not gonna discuss my record from last week. The Saints, Chargers, Packers and Bears are all on bye.

So without further ado…


*****NFL LINES & PICKS: WEEK 5*****


EARLY AFTERNOON GAMES


Vikings @ Gateway City +10

The #24 ranked Missouri Tigers were up 12 points in the 4th quarter before allowing the Cornhuskers to score four straight TDS (3 in the span of four minutes) en route to a 27-12 loss last night. There’s no doubt in my mind that either Texas team from the Big 12 South should have had a chance to play for the conference title last year.

Anyway, there’s no reason to believe the Vikings won’t score 30. Two in the air. Two on the ground. So you tell me how the Rams score 17.

I’ll wait…


Cowboys @ Arrowhead +8

The Cowboys are quietly a terrible team. For years they’ve fooled us with the preponderance of talent on their roster but every blue-chipper on that team is fatally flawed in a major way. Add that to the fact that the team is so poorly coached and it’s no wonder they always finish the way they do.

That said, they have played undefeated teams close and have beaten the bad teams. The Chiefs are a bad team (and are getting better).

Btw, my whole Mizzou rant was just to highlight the fact that the state will be 0-fer this week because…

…Chiefs don’t cover at Arrowhead anymore.


Braves @ Carolina -3.5

Didn’t both these states go blue last October?

I sincerely hope the off week has given John Fox and co. a chance to figure out what it is they want to do on offense.

I’m going with the home team.


Buc @ Eagles -14.5

This is what I mean. The Eagles and Cowboys have comparable talent but the Iggies are much better coached, especially on defense. Andy Reid is still a fat putz but this is a relative argument. 2+TDs makes me nervous but the Bucs are banged up at RB and the Philly D should be able to fluster whatever young QB Raheem throws out there.

Amazingly, I’m taking the Eagles.


Raiders @ The New York Football Giants -15 OVR±38

Anyone who took DMC in their fantasy draft deserves everything that’s happening to them right now. That organization is so screwed up that their draft day antics have affected BOTH bay area teams.

Eli is gonna hafta play with pain the rest of the season but it remains to be seen if he’ll do so this weekend. Carr got enough snaps this week to put 2 TDs on the board. The running game will work itself out.

Against all reason, I’m gonna take the OVR.


Browns @ Ralph Wilson -6.5

The Braylon saga is just too funny for words. The Browns let the Jets trade with them to get Mark Sanchez and now they’ve given them Edwards for less than they were asking of The Giants in the off-season (unless you think Chansi is good substitute for a 1st round pick).

I just love the idea that within minutes of Massaquoi’s breakout performance, Mangini was on the phone shopping #17. And I’m sure it was 50% orchestrated by Cleveland’s Don Capo Supreme, LeBron Davis. Who wants to bet that once LBJ signs with a NY team that Edwards gets shipped to Oakland?

I like the Browns to cover.


Bengals @ The Independent City of Baltimore-8.5

What does that mean, “Independent City”? What’s their relationship to the rest Maryland? Do their residents not pay state taxes? Is there no gubernatorial or congressional oversight?

I can see the Bengals fucking me here but something tells me the Ravens aren’t happy about losing that conference game up in Foxborough.

If that secondary can hold it together the Ravens should take care of business.


Steelers @ The Motor City +10.5

All I asked of these clowns was to cover 20 against their division rivals. Of course they go out and let the Bears score 48 on them. There’s no reason for me to believe that Big Ben and company can’t control this game from the opening kickoff.

I’ll take Pittsburgh.


LATE AFTERNOON GAMES


Dirty Birds @ Candlestick -2.5

One of my favorite games this week as The Niners have become one of my favorite teams.

We ride with them till they bankrupt us.


Pats @ Mile High +3 OVR±41

Looks like Kid Daniels is making good on his promise. Bill Simmons had an interesting article a couple weeks ago about Bill Belicheck and the Pats.

(Had I an ounce of professionalism there would be a link somewhere in that paragraph)

This line looks about right to me, and god help me I’m taking the OVR.


Jags @ Seattle PICK’EM

Somehow this game escaped my attention the first time I posted these picks. It’s not hard to see why. I can’t find an over/under on this, but to be honest, I haven’t really tried.

Let’s start picking Jaguars for a couple of games and see what happens.


Texans @ Arizona -5.5

Man, they jacked up this over. At 50.5 it’s almost ten times the spread. People are gonna talk about how this game will feature the two best WRs in football right now (while my man Reggie Wayne keeps doing what he do).

Drink every time you hear “duel in the desert” and marvel as I take yet ANOTHER road team to cover.


SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL


Colts @ Music City +3.5


There are 2 divisions in which it does not matter how good or bad any of the teams are, the spread will ALWAYS be within 2.5-4.5 points. The AFC South is one of them. There’s a good chance I will never bet on the Oilers again.

By the way, I hope they’re wearing their powder blues and Peyton’s allowed to wear black shoes.


MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL


Jets @ Miama +1


These AFC East primetime matchups are always classics. Last time the South Beach Wildcats went up against Rex Ryan and a rookie QB they got jacked like Daniels. I don’t see why that wouldn’t happen again.

Take Gang Green.


PARLAY OF THE WEEK

I don’t think the Chargers covered last week so our teaser was doomed from the get go but The Lions failing to cover 20 against the Bears in the 1 o’clock game was a harbinger of terrible things for us overall. I’m telling you right now that I’m putting a hundo on The Vikings (+0), The Steelers (-.5) and the Eagles (-4.5) in a 3-Team Tease.

Feel free to sub the Colts in at +6.5 if you don’t mind waiting on the Sunday Night game.

Or shave 4 points off all 4 of those lines and throw the Cowboys at -2 in for a nice 5-Team Tease.

You can thank me later.


Ok. that's it from me. sorry this is up so late. Busy weekend.

(Congratulations to Taantee, Chi, Vi, Stew, Tanesha and The Big Cat!)

I actually had this done on Friday but failed to post it till just now.


Anyway, Happy Hunting and as per usual…












...Good Luck and God Bless!

No comments: