Sunday, November 30, 2008

PEANUTS

Lemme preface this by saying this the following is completely raw and unfiltered, for better or for worse.

Life is a funny thing. Mine is no exception.

Conventional wisdom says that life is best lived when you understand the story of you life is not a book to be read but a tale to be written, and most importantly, that you are the author.

I can agree with that to a certain extent. I do believe that it is each of our tasks to "make your life!"

It's a creative endeavor. Every moment of our life is an exercise in fabrication. The greater extent we take to accept control over that continuing creative fabrication, the better our life will be.

But I am coming to believe that there is also "super-arch" to the story of our lives that is, in some ways, beyond our control. And i don't mean to contradict myself.

Firstly, I accept that what i am trying to describe is some phenomenal fact that many believe is God or some other supernatural universal force. But what i'm trying to describe is less determinative and also supremely within our control.

This "arc" (and i concede that for now i have no better way to describe it) is inherently unique to each person. It is, to use a common phrase, "who we are." But I believe it is also something that is uniquely each of our task to discover understand and accomodate in the process of our own creative fabrication of our lives, and in this way we exercise a great measure of control over it.

I hope to elaborate on this thought in time.
Part of me doubts I will. But i've recorded it here for some measure of posterity.

I guess what i'm saying that at some point charlie brown must come to understand that it is not for him to ever "kick the ball."
And ironically, once he comes to this deep understanding of his lot in life, he will find that it is infinitely within his power to exercise his command over that ball, regardless of the machinations and/or intentions of a Lucy.

No comments: