Saturday, November 7, 2009

MODERN MARVEL

Took last week off…








...needed to relax.


And it’s a good thing I did because last week was crazy.

Not sure where I left off as far as a YTD record but this week I’m gonna try something different.

I’m not picking any over/unders. Everything is straight up ATS.


LET’S GO!


****NFL LINES & PICKS: WEEK 9****



EARLY SUNDAY GAMES


CHIEFS @ Jacksonville -6.5

These 2 teams couldn’t be more different. The Chiefs are an old team without a running game but with a great home-field advantage. The Jags are barely 15 years old, have MJD running the ball but can barely draw 20K to the stadium.

None of this has anything to do with my picking the Chiefs to cover.


RAVENS @ Cinn Citi +3

I’ve always had a soft spot in my heart for the Ravens. They always resembled the team I was used to my Giants being. These days both squads rely more on their offense to win games instead of their underachieving defense.

None of this has anything to do with my picking the Ravens to cover.


Texans @ INDIANAPOLIS -9

I’m not sure what the over in this game is (even though I’m taking it). It really can’t be high enough and history tells us that this game will be very close until the final 5 minutes.


So obviously, I’m going with THIS guy.

Braves @ THE GEORGIA DOME -8.5

I hope by now you realize that I refuse to call Washington by their “preferred” team name.

The line in this game opened at 10, which is about how much it takes to outscore the Braves offense.

Was going to take the Braves to cover but I could do without that point and a half screwing me.

Falcons.


PACKERS @ East St. Petersburg +9.5

Some say that Aaron Rodgers takes too many bad sacks but all I see is a dude that could be the best QB in the league given adequate protection. The Packers get two starters back on the O-line so…uh…

Green Bay all day.


CARDINALS @ Soldier Field +3

Fun Fact: Did you know that the Cardinals are the NFL’s oldest franchise and originally played in Chicago a full 23 years before the Bears came around?

OGs cover.

Cardinals vs. Bears: Thanksgiving Day, 1925

WILDCATS @ Foxborough -10.5

We’ve all heard a hundred times about how “The Wildcat” was unveiled in this game last year. And we all know that Bill Belicheck doesn’t usually fall for the same trick 4 times. And we all know the last thing you want to do is give this guy 2 weeks to prepare for anything.

Nuts to all that. I’m taking the fins.


LATE AFTERNOON GAMES


PANTHERS @ The Superdome -13

I don’t think there’s a better game to watch week to week than a Saints game.

NOLA’s own, Jake Delhomme (aka: The Human Turnover Machine) faces off against the fast-breaking Saints D, featuring this guy…








Darren Sharper, aka: INTERCEPTOR SUPREME






Against all reason, I’m rolling with the crazy Cajun.


LIONS @ Seattle -10

I didn’t put up a column last week so I couldn’t comment the the Toilet-Bowl matchup between The Lions and Rams. I highly recommend you watch it. It’s surreal.

I would think this game would be similar except for the fact that Qwest Field is loud even at 6 AM Christmas morning.

Kevin Smith is probable (my designation, not Detroit’s) and Megatron is a GTD.

sigh.

Biggest gamble of the week: Lions cover.


Titans @ CANDLESTICK PARK -4

The Titans are 1-90 on the season but this line represents the fear Chris Johnson puts into the hearts of bettors.

Singletary vs. VY? Crabtree and Davis vs. that secondary? Gore vs. the Albert Haynesworth shaped cloud of dust left by him from the offseason?

Niners cover.


CHARGERS @ THE NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS -4.5

Whatever man.

I have my own feelings about what’s going on with the Giants. Win or lose there are things I’m not happy about and there are things with which I’m comfortable.

I suffer from no delusions when it comes to my favorite teams.

That said, the last time these two played, 70-some odd pts were scored. LDT was much better back then and our defense was much worse. Also, Canty and Boley are back and we’re starting a better pass-defending SS.

Take from that what you will.


SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL


Cowboys @ PHILADELPHIA -2.5

I don’t believe in either team though I wouldn’t be surprised if either won the division.

Andy Reid is a solid game strategist but a terrible game-day coach. Wade is fine enough on game-day but does not instill discipline in his team.

Discipline always wins out with evenly matched teams so I’m taking Philly.


MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL


STEELERS @ Mile High +2.5

Apparently The Broncos are unbeatable at Mile High.

Speaking of which, the altitude might literally kill Pittsburgh safety, Ryan Clark.

I'm hearing all that noise but I’m still taking the Steelers to cover.


PARLAY OF THE WEEK:

Ok. Now that that’s out the way I can jump on some of these over/unders.

Here’s one I’ve literally already put good money on. Pays out: 6/1.

Lions/hawks OVR 43.5, Titans/49ers OVR 40.5, Steelers -2.5






“Happy Hunting!”

No comments: