Thursday, February 28, 2008

"Presto Prestare!"

The following is excerpted (i hope this site spell-checked that) from an email I sent to a dear friend.
I typed their eye out with a random question that I'll now subject you guys to.
Yeah, so here it is...

"...like that shit came from the core of Ruff.

anyway, there you have it.
now back to the liberalism thing.

I'm curious as to why someone...anyone would consider themselves a "liberal" I'm curious as to:

1. if anyone even considers the appropriateness or meaning of the term "liberal" as it relates to the various concepts thar discussion usu entails.

2.given the accuracy (or in-) of the term, why the ideals behind it appeal to the person so much? Like what does a person think these ideologies do for them? or for people in general?

Forget about republican/democrat.
whatever...and i think that THOSE labels have more meaning than liberal vs conservative.

I think I have to consider myself a democrat; various aspects of their platform appealing more to me, my sensibilites, views etc.
But i'm not so sure (to coin an "Aikmanism") that I'm not in many more ways conservative than liberal.

And this is more than just a Chris Rock bit. I'm speaking to some of the fundamental values of the ideology...
The role of the state in a citizen's life.
Fiscal policy of a government
Its role in the economics of a nation.
Foreign policy...

I dunno. I'm very curious to know what other people think about any part or all of this.

What do you consider yourself? And why?"

So I pose this to any of my readers out there.
What do you consider yourself? Party affiliation (or apathy) is irrelevant.
Political views are something we all have whether we choose to express them and engage in them or not. I'm curious as to what some of those views are and why?

Also...i may have just pissed myself....literally.


Smash

2 comments:

T. said...

I'm a serious, SERIOUS right-winger myself. And as a black man in NY you can guess that makes me incredibly popular. But yeah, I do agree conservative and liberal carry less meaning these days than republican and democrat. Especially with all the sub-labels like neoliberal, classical liberal, neoconservative, paleoconservative, etc., etc.

3 great books I'd love to recommend that made me go right-wing: Losing the Race by John McWhorter, 10 Things You Can't Say In America by Larry Elder and Bias by Bernard Goldberg.

Ruff said...

awesome. exactly what i'm looking for. but this is gonna be tough because i gave up reading in high school...you're giving me three.

is there some teacher somewhere handing these books out?
how does one go about getting one on their own?

as for the parties, neither seems, to me, to be truly conservative, at least not in any fiscal sense.
The size of governement has expanded under every 2-term presidency over the past 30 years including Reagan.
mixed economies are favored by all but the most fervent right wingers.

it was funny to me that Ron Paul was given such a small soapbox on the republican stage when his platform seemed, to me, to be the most conservative.